Thursday, July 31, 2008

ARCHIDEX08 - Part 4

I wonder how many parts left, I am getting lazier. Anyways, more pictures.

Datum KL

Finally an entry on the event itself. Some asked "What is ARCHIDEX08? You ran out of ideas to name your post?" LOL.

Anyways, the response to Archidex08 was overwhelming. More than 1500 participants from Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines and other countries. Architects, drafters, developers, and students, like me, and some unknown people, crowded the foyer of Plenary Hall, Kuala Lumpur Convention Center on the 4th and 5th July 2008.

Coffee or tea...

Such conference gave me a different perspective to where I am currently. I wonder if I am good enough, can I survive, am I on the right track? You know the feeling of frog inside a coconut? I felt that I am that frog, suddenly thrown out in the middle of the city. When I am actually surrounded by people who has been in the field longer than I am, for some reason, it worries me. What worries me is, will I be able to stand out from the crowd and make a difference, or I will be put together, insignificantly together with the rest of the crowd? Sigh. Let me side track a bit...

Exam results will be released in exactly a week from today!

The thought of collecting my results... Freaky. Archi world is so competitive and political. I have been repeatedly stamped with the label kiasu by my classmates and some lecturers. I was just doing what I can, and I am sure, I definitely have a healthy level of competitiveness. Kiasuness is good. It makes you work harder to achieve better and improve yourself. It makes you aim higher. People who are not kiasu is just not motivated and lazy. Sorry, no offence. To me, it is either swim or sink. Why not strive for excellence? However, knowledge is meant to be shared. Kiasu does not mean being selfish and pulling out dirty tricks just to surpass someone is a no-no. Healthy competition, fair and square. Cheating is the worse thing someone can do. Cheat and you will be cheated.

Okay, back to topic.

The lecture hall is so comfy. Unlike other lectures I attended, the lectures are very well organized and of international standard. Quiet, comfortable seat, no chatterbox, uh... a bit too cold, the perfect combination to nap. Haha...

As you may have noticed by now, the theme for the DATUM this year is "DISTINCTION". As I mentioned earlier, architecture students should strive hardest for excellence. The theme distinction was chosen because it conveys outstanding quality of excellence, uniqueness, and of distinctive execution.

In this gathering of great minds around the world, through the discourse arising from the presentations, questions were debated and clarified. The speakers were the current heroes of architecture from their respective region, and each of them has stood out from the rest, to share their distinctive philosophy and design.

Some of the speakers were really boring, though their ideas and designs were impressive. It was difficult to stay awake when it's so dark and comfortable. It felt like sitting in premier class cinema. LOL. Azie, this picture is for you...

Kengo Kuma from Japan
It was difficult to take pictures in the dark.

LimKokWing Faculty of Architecture and Build Environment students... Adrian, Glenda, Florence, Terence (from left to right)

5 comments:

Lissa said...

lol kiasu... machiam advertise my final year diploma show...

flo.rence. said...

haha... is your result out yet?

a z i e said...

Kiasuness is good.
totally agree
XD

Lissa said...

i am not sure. when you get your results, do inform me. lkw cyber is not in charge of results from kuching. so i need your feedback regarding when my results come out.

flo.rence. said...

you mean i collect your results for you? it will be out on thurs