Saturday, May 15, 2010

8th International Student Competition

th International Student Competition
by Commonwealth Association of Architects

Early this year, I participated in an international student competition. We were to make proposals for a memorial commemorating a significant past event in our own country or the country we are studying in.

Being very emotionally attached to what happened last year in Kuching, I proposed a memorial to our heritage buildings at Gambier Street, which was demolished in the name of urban progress.

After completing this project, I personally felt a lot better, not as angry as before. However, I still question sometimes; why the involved local authorities could not understand such simple logic that heritage is meant to be kept for future generations.

I am glad I've submitted my entry though I was contemplated not to, as I was already late for submission. I still submitted for the competition, since I've already printed my work. It took about 3 days to reach Columbo, Sri Lanka, I thought they would have threw away my submission by then.

Anyways, here is the Jury Report. (Scroll down right to the website)

I did not win anything, unfortunately.

CAA Website

However, my submission was selected for exhibition with 3 Stars.
Stars? It indicates how many members of jury chose that entry for exhibition.

I gave my college free publicity. They should exempt me from this semester's school fees. 


2 comments:

avanpiper said...

wow...that's some achievement! congratz!~

I might not understand the graphics but they look cool xD and yeah...pity what happened to the street.

flo.rence. said...

thank you!